Help your employer to stop HAVS and carpal tunnel syndrome before they become a problem for you. A-Plant has implemented an identification system called the Traffic Light System. Read more about the traffic light system at the bottom of A-Plants web page.
When Are You at Risk?
You are at risk if you regularly use hand-held or hand guided power tools and machines such as:
- Concrete breakers, concrete pokers.
- Sanders, grinders, disc cutters.
- Hammer drills.
- Chipping hammers.
- Chainsaws, brush cutters, hedge trimmers, powered mowers.
- Scabblers or needle guns.
More information to be found through the link below.
HAND ARM VIBRATION SAFETY: "What is Hand Arm Vibration? Hand Arm Vibration is vibration transmitted into your hands and arms when you use hand-held powered work equipment.
What is Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome?
- HAVS affects the nerves, blood vessels, muscles and joints of the hand, wrist and arm.
- It can become severely disabling if ignored.
- It includes vibration white finger, which can cause severe pain in the affected fingers.
What is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a nerve disorder which may involve pain, tingling, numbness and weakness in parts of the hand, and can be caused by, among other things, exposure to vibration.
What Are the Early Signs and Symptoms to Look Out For?
- Tingling and numbness in the fingers (which can cause sleep disturbance).
- Not being able to feel things with your fingers.
- Loss of strength in your hands (you may be less able to pick up or hold heavy objects).
- In the cold and wet, the tips of your fingers going white then red and being painful on recovery.
- (Vibration white finger). If you continue to use high-vibration tools these symptoms will probably get worse, for example:
- The numbness in your hands could become permanent and you won’t be able to feel things at all.
- You will have difficulty picking up small objects such as screws or nails.
- The vibration white finger could happen more frequently and affect more of your fingers.